The History of Makeney Hall, Derby
Makeney Hall Hotel, has a long a history entrenched with the local towns of Belper and Milford, and the notable local family, the Strutt’s. A name with is still synonymous with the area today, with many local landmarks carrying the name, including our very own ‘Strutt House Restaurant’
History of Makeney Hall Hotel
Jedediah Strutt (1726-1797) and his sons began their cotton mill business in 1776 and by building homes and facilities for their workers created one of the world’s first industrial communities. This continued through the family to his great, great-grandson, George Herbert Strutt (21st April 1854 -17th May 1928)
George married Edith Adele Balguy on 2nd April 1876 in Kent. During 21 years of marriage, she had taken an active part in public life as expected by wives of public figures. She also took a keen interest in her husband’s politics. He was appointed County Magistrate in 1877. She was well-loved by the people of Belper and Milford. She died in 1897. They had two sons and five daughters. He helped to provide the Edith Strutt convalescent home at Holbrook.
George married Charlotte Emily’s Mary hind in Carlisle on 30th April 1898. He had built Makeney Hall that year and they moved in. they had one son and four daughters. He was appointed chairman of the Derbyshire County Council in 1901 and high sheriff of the country in 1903.
George Herbert Strutt was the districts greatest benefactor.
He gave the site for the conservative club in Campbell street in 1896. He sold the mills to the English Sewing Cotton Company Ltd in 1897. He opened the Belper River Gardens with boating in 1905. He helped provide the Gibfield Lane Swimming baths in 1909. He handed over the memorial gardens to the town in 1920.
In 1921 he gave land which was used to create the memorial gardens to remember those who had died in the first world war. He dies of pneumonia aged 74 at Ballater in Scotland on 17th May 1928.
Makeney Hall then to his oldest son, George Ashton Strutt and then to his half-brother Arthur strut. It was sold to Derbyshire council in 1936 who opened it for ladies community out of wedlock to have their babies. The National Health Service started on 5th July 1949 and took over Makeney Hall as a mentally handicapped hospital for women. It closed in 1988.
On the 27th August 1991 Makeney Hall hotel was opened by the owner, Sonya Belescolko